Coming to Nantes
as an exchange student
Since 1999, L'École de design Nantes Atlantique has been developing an ambitious strategy of international outreach. 150 foreign students are welcomed to Nantes for the 2022-2023 school year, from partner schools around the world, for a full semester, in the 3rd year of the DN MADE program, or during the International Design Strategy master's program at Studio France.
L’École de design Nantes Atlantique, an international design school
Venturing out of your comfort zone, experiencing a new culture, assimilating other codes... The international experience offered by L'École de design Nantes Atlantique allows future designers to combine openness to others, curiosity, pragmatism and interculturality. In a globalized world, where the stakes often transcend borders, living an immersive 6-month experience here in Nantes is a wonderful opportunity to further one's training as a designer.
In recognition of its international dimension, L'École de design Nantes Atlantique holds:
- the Erasmus Charter for Higher Education (ECHE) for the period 2021-2027, and is thus part of the Erasmus+ program, a European Union program promoting student mobility in higher education;
- the 3-star Bienvenue en France, attesting to the quality of the welcome given to its international students.
How the exchange works
L'École de design Nantes Atlantique has concluded an exchange agreement with more than 120 partner institutions, spread over 4 continents and 36 countries. In the framework of the exchange:
- 150 international students, from these partner schools only, are hosted in Nantes for the 2022-2023 school year for a semester. Incoming international students benefit from French as a foreign language classes throughout the semester to help them integrate more easily to life in France
- At the same time, students from L'École de design Nantes Atlantique are welcomed in these establishments for an international experience.
Programs available to foreign exchange students in Nantes
L'École de design Nantes Atlantique offers foreign students programs with an international focus, taught in English and with a mix of students. The following programs are available for one semester:
Year 3 DN MADE: international class
To join this class, students must have completed at least two years in one of the following fields: product design, interior architecture, scenography, interactive design or multimedia.
Exchange students enrolled in one of these programs will have to take mandatory courses and choose optional courses to validate 30 ECTS credits. Depending on their background, students will have to choose between these three programs:
For students of space design, interior design and scenography
The Retail & Interior Design program focuses on the design of any permanent space (commercial architecture, interior architecture, public areas) or temporary space (scenography, events) with a user-centered approach.
Photo credit: Claire Lucas / Invit’oit / A greenhouse to meet people in your neighborhood / Diploma project
For students of product or industrial design
The Industrial Products program focuses on the industrial aspect of design. Based on industrial know-how, the design of innovative products is put at the service of the user, their environment and their expectations.
Photo credit: José Castelazo / Hope / An eco-responsible object to enhance coral surviability / Diploma project
For students of graphic design, interactive design or multimedia
Based on a user-centered design approach, the Digital Media Design program offers services that respond to needs in the field of digital media (web, interactive terminals, video, animation, computer graphics, etc.).
Photo credit: Ila Bisht / Draglist / An app to overcome procrastination / diploma project
For students who studies fashion design
The 3rd year of the DN MADE Circular Fashion Design program, taught in English, offers students the chance to design and produce textiles, soft materials, textures, patterns and colours related to all areas of design: clothing and accessories, living spaces, objects, furniture, transport, etc. with a future-oriented focus on eco-design.
International Design Strategy Master’s program at Studio France
Foreign exchange students can also join the first semester (September to January) of the first year of the International Design Strategy master's program at L'École de design Nantes Atlantique's Studio France.
To join this program, candidates must hold a Bachelor's degree in one of the following fields: product design, graphic design, interior architecture, scenography, interactive design. This first semester of the Master's program encourages the exploration of French culture in an applied interdisciplinary context.
"It was inspiring to be with the best students from all around the world. Managing with a mixed batch of people with different languages, backgrounds and thought processes was new and challenging."
Applying for an exchange semester at L'École de design Nantes Atlantique
Here is all the information you need to apply for an exchange semester at L'École de design Nantes Atlantique.
Only students from one of our partner schools can join the school as an exchange student.
- To join the Year 3 DN MADE international class, candidates must have completed at least two years in one of the following fields: product design, interior architecture, scenography, interactive design or multimedia.
- To join the International Design Strategy Master’s program at Studio France, candidates must hold a Bachelor's degree in one of the following fields: product design, graphic design, interior architecture, scenography, interactive design.
The duration of the exchange program is one semester only :
- Applicants are first selected by their home institution, whose international relations department must send an email to Orianne Besnard, International Relations Assistant at L'École de design Nantes Atlantique, at the following address: email@example.com
- L'École de design Nantes Atlantique sends a nomination form by email to be filled in by the home institution (this email is sent in September for the spring semester, and in February for the fall semester,
- The partner school fills out the form,
- The nominated students and their respective schools will receive an email, in the days following the nomination, containing the link to the application platform of L'École de design Nantes Atlantique, as well as the connection details of each student,
- Students complete and submit their application. The following documents must be uploaded to the application platform:
- Curriculum Vitae,
- Passport or ID card,,
- Portfolio showing some of their creations and work.
- Students receive a response 3 weeks after the application deadline,
- The selected students receive an email with their official acceptance letter and practical information (list of courses, instructions for the learning agreement, exact start dates, etc.).
Due to a limited number of places, it is not possible to accept all students who apply for an exchange semester. If the number of applications exceeds the number of places available, a selection of applications will be made by the program's course leader, based on the quality of the portfolio and the application. Students will receive an answer to their application within 3 weeks after the submission deadline.
L'École de design Nantes Atlantique welcomes applications from students with disabilities or chronic illnesses, and considers them under the same academic conditions as for other students. Applicants must state all their specific requirements when sending their application. To learn more about the school's social policy, visit this page.
Semester 1 / 2023-2024
- Information Days (compulsory): September 11th to 15th, 2023
- Classes begin: September 18th, 2023
- End of Semester 1 (exchange students): January 31st, 2024
Semester 2 / 2023-2024
- Information Days (compulsory): February 12th to 16th, 2024
- Classes begin: February 19th, 2024
- End of Semester 2 (exchange students): June 21st, 2024
Semester 1 / 2023-2024:
- Information Days (compulsory): September 11th to 15th, 2023
- Classes begin: October 2nd, 2023
- End of semester 2 (exchange students): January, 31st 2024
For any questions or additional information, please contact Orianne Besnard, international
relations assistant, at: firstname.lastname@example.org
For 25 years, L'École de design Nantes Atlantique has enabled future French designers to train abroad and future international designers to train in Nantes.